Sunday, November 5

OUT WITH THE OLD-IN WITH THE NEW

Jean2 here. My DH and I have decided to join this century. We bought a new TV-50 inch big screen w/ the works! I have had a console TV that I absolutley loved for over 13 years now. My ex and I bought it when I was pregnant w/ my daughter J. I loved it then, and I still love it. If it was up to me-we would still have it. If it isn't broke-leave well enough alone. However, I CAVED!! See-this is the thing about consoles-they have character -they are not just a big, overgrown piece of technology. Consoles represent and era in my life that I was not ready to let go of. I grew up with consoles-they feel homey. Oh-the shows and family time I have shared with my console TV's. How many many many episodes of Little House, Waltons, Munsters, Brady Bunch, Dukes of Hazzard, Rosanne, The Wonder Years, Wizard of Oz (once a year) did I watch on the console? Oh and as I grew up...Knots Landing , Dallas, Days of Our Lives, Young and the Restless.... And I musn't forget the videos on CMT and VH1. My daughter grew up w/ that console. Barney Barney and more Barney. CMT videos (she loved those) and of course the Teletubbies!! Oh now come on-we all have our opinions on shows! LOL! The console was good to us. Very good. However, after many remarks for DH and promises to him of eventually getting a new TV-the time came. We have been married almost 7 years and I have put him off that long. He got his wish. And I must admit I do like the new TV. I didn't buy one of those boring silver techno stands for our new high tech TV. I bought something w/ the name CONSOLE on it. It is wooden w/ black glass. It is just ME! I love it. It helps dull the pain. Our old console is currently sitting in our storage building. I have heard you can't give those TV's away anymore. Good. Because NO ONE can have it. I am saving it for my 70's-80's room that I dare to create!! You know-wood panneling, green appliances, orange dishes, yellow tile and MY PRECIOUS console-I might even throw in the rabbit ears. I miss those days. Good memories. But move on I must...and so I shall.

3 Commenting on your genius-ness:

Stacey said...

First of all, I feel much better knowing that you still have the console in your posession. I cannot wait for the 80's room. Awesome!

Your mention of all those tv shows made me a little nostalgic. I watched all those things on a big old console tv too. Now I feel bad for making fun of the beast, after seeing WHY it was so special to you.

I knew being eMints would get to you...gotta be all up on the latest, greatest technology now, don't you? ;) Now go flip your hair.

Stacey said...

How many people did it take to move it out? Did you have to cut the doorway?

Donna B. said...

Goodbye console...I knew you well. You entertained our toddlers, held numerous pictures and even gave home to a vcr, dvd player and other objects. (sniff)