Thursday, July 10

Family Vacation...Done! Next?

I have to say I am not the typical woman. I normally do not look forward to family vacations as much as I have noticed some of my friends do with their families. I don't consider myself a pessimist by any means...just a realist. My hubby is the eternal optimist for vacations. He loves them and can't wait to HIT THE ROAD and get out of here. This year, I loved it also. I went into this family vacation with NO EXPECTATIONS and a great attitude. I didn't care how my family acted-I was responsible for my own attitude. I was determined to create my own happiness. And I did.
Example: We left the July 3rd at night and drove ALL NIGHT LONG to Gulf Shores. Like idiots (and I say that lightly) we didn't make any reservations. And guess what? That day was the 4th of July. After my hubby drove all night long we quickly found we had no place to stay. And no hope in sight. We drove ALL over looking for hotels. We did manage to make reservations for the next THREE nights but what to do that night? Long story short...I called Jean1 to see what she could do to help us-all while maintaining my sense of humor. She tried but sometimes what is available online isn't availabe when you call. I would like to also say that we didn't rent our usual minivan this year in order to save money so we were all crammed in my car. A nice car but not made for that long of a drive with three sleep deprived teenagers in the backseat. They handled our setback wonderfully although I knew they were disappointed. We ended up driving an hour out to get an old and yucky motel room. But this is the amazing thing...gratefulness sets in when you are desperate. I had been in the same clothes for over 24 hours. I felt hot and disgusting. A shower and a bed anywhere would suffice. We stayed there-we all showered and slept for about 14 hours and then the real vacation began. The place we stayed the rest of the time was a two bedroom luxurious condo with everything-including a washer and dryer. We packed NO dirty clothes home! ;)
We shopped, beached it, and ate. Hubby and I had a few stolen moments alone on the beach, some great beach walks and talks! I was determined to stay positive and it paid off for the whole family.
I go back to there is always a reason when something doesn't work out-maybe we would have had a wreck if we would have stayed there that night....who knows? God has a reason for EVERYTHING even if it is just a test for us. I passed the test. And so did my family. We perservered and had a great vacation overall!! Next year, the intentions are making reservations and not going with our normal spontaneity and FLYING. We will see.
Last night-all the kids were gone to their other parents. Hubby took me to Olive Garden, the mall, and to a movie...and last but not least...WAL-MART! The perfect date! We are still on vacation!
Next...I leave for cheerleading camp tomorrow and will be gone three nights and four days!
Must keep positive attitude! ;)
Oh and last but not least...
A picture of Jean1's magnet will be posted as soon as I have a chance to give it to her with the usual joy and anticipation on her face! ;) You be the judge! Did I mention how much I DETEST that gargoyle or more like fear the hideous creature that stares at me with its glowing eyes as I get ice? ugh But the deal is, they must be displayed. Lord help me!

3 Commenting on your genius-ness:

Donna B. said...

I'm so proud of you for not making your family suffer your grump and grouch sessions. :) Glad you enjoyed yourself...I'm so looking forward to my new magnet...and I'm REALLY glad your are enjoying your new magnet. hee hee

Erica said...

WE did the exact same thing, only it was right after Hurricane Ivan, and 3 days before the 4th. Hello ding dongs! Also, Ben was cutting all 4 of his molars, but once we saw that white sand and listened to the ocean it was allllll good! Glad you had fun. Can't wait to see the magnets. Oooh we ended up staying at Perdido Beach Resort. Awesome!

Laurie said...

Good for you. I would have failed the test miserably. ;) Instead of being grateful for *any* bed, I'd have lost every ounce of my keeping-it-together and just beg for a clean bed. Jean 1 and I can tell a tale of a horrid place in Michigan - I swear, when my DH went in and pulled back all the bed sheets, practically riping them off the bed, and when I realized he was looking for BUGS, I FREAKED. I mean, this man is a hunter...ripping out animal guts and such. UUUugghhh... shiver.

You're a better woman than I. I'm proud of you. :)