Monday, June 30

Christy "having a catch"


IMG_0088
Originally uploaded by Jean 1
When I was a little girl my Popa used to tell us kids, usually when we were getting loud enough to annoy him, to go outside and "have a catch". We'd look at him weird and then usually go outside and be loud. It wasn't often that we were enthralled by the idea of throwing a little ball back and forth between us...because really, what was the point in that? But to Popa it was more than the mindless idea of standing in the yard and throwing a ball just to occupy time. To him, it represented freedom.
When he was a boy growing in up in rural Missouri most daylight time was spent working. He was either working on the area property or was hired out to another farmer nearby to do work on their land. The way times were, men, women and children were always busy making sure they had food to eat, clothes to wear and the never ending endeavor of trying to provide for tomorrow. And then when there was a chance to just relax and be free...they might get to play some baseball or at the least find a few minutes to "have a catch". Just stand there with someone else without worry or time constraints and throw a little ball back and forth.
As I think about how precious these times were for children in the 1920's I find myself struck with a sense of awe. Awe because my Popa wasn't a bitter man, riled with indignation at the unfairness of life or the pressures that came with life. Awe because most of the men and women from that time period all had a deep sense of thankfulness for the life that they had. Awe because they came through the depression and World Wars and high mortality rates and so much hard living, but yet they continued to give and give so well that we have many people who cannot fathom living such a life.

I sit and watch Christy, in this age of abundance and wealth...despite what the economists are telling us....and see that we are still being given so much by our Popa's and Nanny's and all the others of that age. We are still receiving and I am deeply grateful!

1 Commenting on your genius-ness:

Jean 2 said...

There is nothing I liked more when I was young to go outside and, "have a catch." Although we didn't call it that.LOL But, I personally would beg people to play "catch" with me. The conversations were great with me and my friends when we did play catch.
You are right though-when I read books about the trials and lifestyles of the generations before us-not that there aren't any today-but I feel EXTREMELY blessed and thankful!!